Thank you, Jesse.
Audrey Vance of Creston, B.C., who co-chairs the committee Altering Destiny through Education has often told me that the only way to get rid of polygamy is through education. But, how? Do we set up government sponsored “reform” schools for those in polygamy?
The GREATEST measure of education that is going on presently is the information highway to the general public that the problem of polygamy is more widespread in North America than any can imagine.
A new study was released today showing Canada to be the 4th most desirable country to live in—not in my book, not as long as polygamy and female genital mutilation have a foothold here!
From: Jesse Loffler [mailto:*****
Sent: Sunday, October 04, 2009 4:16 PM
Subject: Polygamy Articles from Professor Marci Hamilton
I am Professor Marci Hamilton’s research assistant and she asked me to forward the following few articles to you. We have also been following the court decisions regarding Bountiful and the continuing saga in Texas and Utah. Of particular note is the most recent article at the top of the list below which was posted on Findlaw. The other articles are Professor Hamilton’s FindLaw columns with relation to the FLDS, Polygamy, and Sex Abuse from the last two years.
– The Two P’s of Gender Inequality: Prostitution and Polygamy – How the Laws Against Both Are Underenforced to Protect Men and Subjugate Women – http://writ.news.findlaw.com/hamilton/20090709.html
– Taking Stock of the 2008 Intervention at the Texas Fundamentalist Latter-Day Saints Compound On Its One-Year Anniversary: The Lessons We Must Learn to Effectively Protect Children in the Future – http://writ.news.findlaw.com/hamilton/20090416.html
– The United States Senate Judiciary Committee Holds Hearings on Polygamy Crimes: What Needs to Be Done at the Federal Level to Protect Children from Abuse and Neglect – http://writ.news.findlaw.com/hamilton/20080724.html
– Why The Costs of Sexual Abuse and the Costs of Non-Enforcement of Anti-Sexual-Abuse Laws Are Too High (w/ Reference to the Texas FLDS Compound) – http://writ.news.findlaw.com/hamilton/20080626.html
– Why The Texas Supreme Court’s Ruling Regarding the FLDS Mothers Is Significantly More Protective of the Children Involved than the Media Have Painted It To Be – http://writ.news.findlaw.com/hamilton/20080603.html
– Why a Texas Appellate Court Seriously Erred In Concluding that Texas Child Protective Services Should Not Have Rescued All of the Children at the FLDS Compound – http://writ.news.findlaw.com/hamilton/20080529.html
– The Rescue of Children from the FLDS Compound in Texas: Why the Arguments Claiming Due Process Violations and Religious Freedom Infringement Have No Merit – http://writ.news.findlaw.com/hamilton/20080501.html
Please let me know if you have any questions about the above material or you can speak with Professor Hamilton directly .
Jesse R. Loffler
J.D. Candidate, 2011
Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law
Chief Research Assistant to Professor Marci Hamilton